Saturday, September 19, 2009

My kitchen

So, we've been busy with the renovation of our kitchen.. well, we were out of town while it was being done, but busy picking out/designing it, while the demo was being done.. :)

So here is the before and after of our kitchen..(its actually backwards, the first set of pics is when we first redid the kitchen/the 2nd is what it was like when we first bought the house) After we bought the house, we did "basic" updates..paint for walls/cabinets.
To the left of the pic across from the sink is a pantry, where our washer/dryer were.. we opened this up, and added a laundry room onto our house which has CHANGED MY LIFE! Who knew not having to fold laundry while doing the dishes was such a treat! I DIDN'T!!! :)




The last pics are the new kitchen. We opened up the space, put new cabinets,
new wall paint (black, my fave), new counter tops, etc.
We really tried to save money by designing it on our own, I'm so lucky that my husband loves doing this as much as I do, he designed the whole layout, and cabinetry of our kitchen, and I picked all the fun stuff (colors/and extras!)
We shopped around for cabinetry, and were originally going to go with Ikea cabinets. But we went to a local cabinet company, and showed them our design layout, and told them that we were wanting a quote, but were ultimately happy with the Ikea cabinets, an that not only matched the price, but beat it! So it pays to shop around, and be willing to walk away, which we were, b/c we were planning on the Ikea.
But are SO glad that we got these, semi-custom, solid wood, and has all the bells & whistles that we wanted!








We went with white shaker style cabinetry, black (porter paint) walls, concrete counter tops, stainless steel farm sink..

Hope you like it! Let me know what you think, and what you love about your kitchen!

12 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE IT!!! So classy!! Can't wait to see it in person!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a classy kitchen - love the fantastic sink and the black walls! The white cabinets just pop out! Great taste!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the lighting! It looks awesome! Glad I got to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks totally awesome!!! I bet you are going to be cooking up a storm in there ... and folding laundry in your new dedicated laundry room! Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahah! Yes, definitely have more desire to fold laundry now that its not in my kitchen! :)
    Here's to designing kitchens when you build them w/ the "laundry room" IN a laundry room! :) Oh the joys of an older home :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is amazing!!! we added a bathroom instead of updating our kitchen..but i dream of my kitchen being updated :) looks fab! my fave part of our kitchen is that there is a window above the sink! i love looking outside while I do the dishes, since we don't have a dishwasher :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto to every comment above. Great job! Way to go. So when are you having me over for a glass of wine?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks guys! And yes ANY of you are welcome to come over!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful kitchen...although the wallpaper was quite charming...ha.

    I just scored some white SFAMK jeans for $20...was hoping you could put together some fall looks with white jeans...that would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it was SO hard to part w/ that wallpaper! :)
    I love me some white jeans, so I will definitely put together some ideas coordinating with them!

    Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhh! I love it all. And the concrete counter tops turned out great! Im ready to rip down some walls too and open up our kitchen/living room. It just makes all the difference. But you have to love the charm of these older houses! you just can't beat it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you're right, older homes are so great, its always scary when you start what you're gonna find, or have to fix!! but so far we've been ok, we're loving it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed by Lena